Wow!
What a weekend!
From start to finish!
To kick off a Vegas weekend, we had margaritas at TGIFriday's in the airport.
Once we got on the plane, I relaxed over wine, warm nuts and my book,
then dinner and dessert.
At baggage claim, the advertisement at our carousel was rather appropriate:
Upon arriving at our hotel, the Encore, I was immediately reminded of why I love Las Vegas so much:
AMAZING hotels.
The check in area:
Our suite:
The view of the strip with the living area in the reflection off the window:
The fabulous bathroom:
This means, a MAJOR learning curve on how to photograph ones self! lol
Of course I forgot to take a pic of half the outfits I wore while we were there. Doh!
And Teagan - here is evidence of the uggs! ;)
My travel outfit:
Shirt: GAP
Scarf: Local shop in Buenos Aires
Skirt: Abercrombie
Tights: Ralph Lauren from TJ Maxx
Boots: Uggs from Nordstrom
Followed immediately by my outfit for the first night:
Dress: Target
Tights: Victoria's Secret
Heels: Jessica Simpson from DSW
The first evening was a private party for the foundation at Tryst Nightclub.
I wasn't sure what the night would be like, so I didn't bring my phone, which meant no pics.
It was a FUN night with buffets scattered all over the fabulous club (mmmm hello beef tenderlion and butternut squash pasta), open bars, a silent auction, informal gambling ("play money"), fun music, and meeting some pretty awesome people.
We spent most of the night there, then headed up to the casino where The Architect and I had SO much fun slot machine hopping!
We gambled for a good hour, laughing the whole time,
and walked away only $3 down.
My kind of gambling!!
OH, SO FUN!
The next morning it was up to the first event:
Breakfast.
The reason we were there:
The emcees for the event, which we met and chatted with the night before:
Steve Levy and Barry Melrose.
They are both super nice, and HI-LARIOUS!!!
They brought up some of the kids of the foundation,
and omg tears as they let them speak.
Such sweethearts!
After breakfast we were on our own until later that afternoon when The Architect had to be in a meeting.
Walking through the conference center of the Wynn (connected to the Encore):
I love all the detail in Vegas hotels.
The cafe right outside the elevators to our room:
The elevator area on our floor and hallway to our room:
(You can't see, but the hallways have crocodile skin (faux I'm sure) wallpaper! Gorgeous!)
The weather in Vegas was amazing!
Sunny and low 70's.
My outfit for shopping:
Dress: Boutique in Buenos Aires
Sweater: Harolds (Now gone and I miss this store!)
Boots: Uggs
One of my favorite parts of the Wynn, Parasol Up/Down Bars!
The gardens at the entrace of the Wynn that change for each season (probably more often than that!):
We walked through the shopping at the Palazzo where The Architect spoiled me with a couple things at Michael Kors:
a fabulous new wristlet that holds my phone, ID, credit cards, and lip gloss.
Perfect-o!
And, a lip gloss/perfume duet that I couldn't resist!
Afterwards, we then walked through the Fasion Show mall, then headed back to the Wynn where we sat at the bar in the sports book lounge and enjoyed some video poker and blue moon.
So fun!
After getting ready for the evening, The Architect headed down for his meeting.
He knew Mr. Brooks was going to be in the meeting, so he told me to meet him outside the room before they were done.
When they finished up and everyone else had left the room, he came outside to where I was sitting and waved me over.
I followed him into the room and he introduced me to THE Mr. Brooks.
I was so nervous!!!
And he was so sweet!
The Architect introduced me as his "beautiful wife", and he removed his cap and responded with something referring to me being beautiful. I don't remember exactly what he said as I was reeling from his kind words...
The Architect and him cut up a bit about the Steelers (they're both life long fans),
The Architect and him cut up a bit about the Steelers (they're both life long fans),
and we chatted with him for about five minutes.
When he was reminded that I went to Auburn he said that one of his professors at OSU went to Auburn and told him that whenever he meets someone frmo Auburn, that he has to say War Damn Eagle. Then he stopped, looked straight at me, and said, "So, War Damn Eagle!"
So fun!
We chatted a bit more.
I thanked him for the cookbooks and told him to please thanks Trisha for me as well.
He said, "That was all [The Architect]! That was all his idea!"
We then hugged goodbye, wished him luck on the concert, and headed to the cocktail reception.
When we first arrived, a portion of the room was roped off for the cocktail reception.
They had several portable bars set up that were lit, and in the dim room, they were gorgeous!
My picture didn't turn out well showing them, bummer.
The dinner set-up:
View of the stage from our table:
I don't know how we lucked out being assigned to this particular table, but it was incredible!
Front row, and seated with us were his life long "people".
His manager, PR lady, attorney, etc.
Amazing.
For dinner we started with a tuscan salad:
Entree - shrimp, filet, roasted brussel sprouts and shredded potatoes
Dessert - tiramisu
SO deelish! I forgot we were eating hotel food.
It tasted like a 5-star restaurant dinner.
(NOT like any hotel conference food I've ever had!)
The emcees then took over the program portion of the evening.
They spoke about the foundation,
Then brought up some of the pro athletes to tell their story and side of it:
(some of the women's national soccer team)
Then Mr. Brooks was introduced and took the stage:
He handed out awards,
tearing up with each award,
and removing his cap everytime it was a female:
Then finished the dinner portion of the program over laughs between these three:
After dinner, we headed to the theater for his concert.
7th row center seats. Ahhh-mazing.
SUCH a great concert!
Worth every single rave review.
It was two straight hours of him with a guitar. And that's it.
It was such a unique, intimate concert.
I can't wait to go with my dad one day (the one who got me into his music to begin with!)
My FAVORITE moment of the whole weekend:
Toward the end of the concert, he had the lights turned onto the audience and he took requests.
One lady behind us about 10-15 rows and to the side went CRAZY yelling.
He quieted everyone down and pointed to that lady.
She started freaking out, hyperventilating and just overwhelmed with excitement.
He started having a simple conversation with her.
Mr. Brooks: Hi! What's your name?
(30 second pause for her to compose herself and speak)
Pamela: Pamela
Mr. Brooks: Hi Pamela! Nice to meet you! Where are you from?
(45 second pause for her to compose herself and speak)
Pamela: Sorry, I have brain tumors.
[awkward silence in theater, and The Architect and I look at each other like...oookay??...awkward!]
(15 more seconds before she responds)
Pamela: Vancouver, Canada
[cheers from lots of people in the audience]
Mr. Brooks: It sounds like you brought half of Vancouver with you! What brings you to Vegas?
(10 second pause...)
Mr. Brooks: You can say it...whatever you say stays here.
[lots of laughs from the audience]
Someone next to her: Brain surgery
Pamela: My brain tumors came back and you are the number one thing on my bucket list.
Mr. Brooks then removed his hat and put it on his chest over his heart, and paused for a bit himself.
You could tell he was absolutely speechless at such a compliment in a tragic situation for her, and trying to keep his composure.
Mr. Brooks: Now that we're both crying, what song would you like to hear?
Pamela: It's Your Song
Mr. Brooks: Why that song?
Pamela: Because that is the song I listened to on repeat before every surgery
(now Mr. Brooks pauses...)
Mr. Brooks: You know I recorded that song for my mom after I stopped touring and have only performed it live once?
[Pamela nods]
Mr. Brooks: Pamela, this one is for you.
He performs the song
Mr. Brooks: Pamela, I want you to promise me that we have a date, same place, ten years from now.
[Pamela nodding]
Mr. Brooks: God bless you, Pamela. You have all my strength.
He took a couple more requests, and finished with a bang.
It was absolutely wonderful from start to finish.
(and btw, there is no way to re-tell that story and do it justice...I know I'm missing little snippet/details of the actual conversation.)
After the concert ended and the theater cleared out, those of us who were there with the foundation had wristbands and we got to stay while Mr. Brooks took pics with the athletes.
We then went to the afterparty.
Where I totally embarassed myself.
The wife of one of The Architect's work partners told us that a guy from the Texas Rangers was there, but she didn't know his name. She acted really non-chalant about it so I figured I wouldn't know who the heck it was. (Unless they are A-list and dating another celebrity, I usually don't know who they are...)
She pointed them out and we figured we would go say hello, and as soon as he said his name, I got totally star-struck.
Colby Lewis!
One of the starting pitchers!
One of my top three favorite players on the team!
I must have said "Omg I am so excited to meet you!!" about 5 times.
And when she walked up to our table as we were chatting with him and his wife, I said "It's Colby Lewis!!!"
I'm still hanging my head in shame with how excited I got.
:(
Anyway, we sat and chatted with him and his wife (who is so cute and and they are both super nice!) for about 10-15 minutes and then we needed to head out.
On our way out we said thank you and goodbye to Mr. Brooks.
I thanked him for his music and for being my version of James Taylor with my dad.
(It was a reference to what he talked about in his concert.)
We chatted for a couple more seconds about it.
He asked if I still have my parents, and when I said yes, he asked what my parents names are.
When I told him, he said, "Make sure you tell [mom's name] and [dad's name] that I personally said hello."
So sweet!
And then he gave me a hug and one more "War Damn Eagle!" :o)
He then gave The Architect a big bear hug, told him how great it was to see him, thanks for coming, and "I love you, man."
You could tell he just adores The Architect.
(I don't blame him! hehe)
Then one quick pic and we headed out.
We changed clothes and went back downstairs to burn our slot machine ticket from the night before.
This night, it went fast. Bummer!
Friday morning we got up and grabbed a quick bite in the hospitality room for the event.
Then headed out to walk around the new hotels that have popped up since I was last in Vegas.
(Especially City Center since The Architect's company was one of the architects on the massive project)
While walking through them, I couldn't stop thinking about Teagan!!
Especially in the Cosmopolitan!
I told the Architect that I can't wait to come back with Teagan because we are sooooo having drinks in the chandelier bar:
And at this pink and sparkly bar:
Then I thought about her when we walked through the Planet Hollywood casino because one whole area of the casino was PINK! SO cute!!!
(can't take pics in casinos dangit!)
After walking around, we headed back to the hotel where we had a beer and quick snack at the sports book lounge again, then headed up to get ready.
Tonight, The Architect surprised me with dinner reservations.
He said he researched the best restaurant in Vegas, and this one kept popping up on the top of lists because of not just its food, but the view.
(I adore how much effort he puts into planning dates with me! Sigh...)
At the top of the Palms.
And yowsers, what a view it was!
(all these pics are so dark, because the restaurant is so dim, and when I use a flash the pics look horrible.)
Looking out one window you can see the sign for the Palms on the other tower addition - 56 floors up!
The menu:
I got in the habit of taking pictures of menus because at some restaurants (especially ones like this), they change it so often, that even if I remember what I ordered, sometimes I can't even look it up afterwards.
Our bottle of Merlot:
(The wine list was on an iPad - genius!)
Our first course: A ceviche amuse-bouche
(P.S. I learned that term from you, Teagan! Thanks!)
Appetizer: Maine lobster and tomato bisque
All dishes are served covered with silver domes. When all platters are on the table, the waiters lift the covers at the same time. When they lifted mine on my soup, it was a mound of lobster pieces topped with a puff pastry and sprig of garnish.
I thought...hmm...interesting....thought I was getting soup...
Then the waiter from behind ladels the bisque into the bowl.
Such service and presentation!
After appetizers we were treated to a fruit sorbet (don't remember which berry it was made from, dangit!), to freshen our palate.
Entrees:
For The Architect (left) - Sauteed Chicken Breast stuffed with Smoked Bacon & Pistachios
For me (right) - Pan Seared Muscovy Duck Breast with Foie Gras & Black Truffle Duck Sausage
For me (right) - Pan Seared Muscovy Duck Breast with Foie Gras & Black Truffle Duck Sausage
Heaven on my palate.
To die for!
Sooooo good!
For dessert: A classic Chocolate Souffle
After dessert: A gift from the chef - Macaroons
The view from our table:
Before we left, I snapped a couple pics of the restaurant.
Small, cozy, the perfect size!
The bar area (where you can see the iPad as their wine list/drink menu) and entrance hall:
And of course their prized awards: Michelin Star Rated.
My first meal/experience at a Michelin Star Rated restaurant! SO exciting!!
(One of my bucket list items is The French Laundry in Napa - a Michelin 3 star)
After dinner we headed to the Bellagio where we had tickets to see O Show.
I have wanted to see O Show since my first trip to Vegas when I was 19 - soon after the show started.
Another dream come true by The Architect!
We had time to kill, so we stepped outside to watch the fountains.
One of my all-time favorites in Vegas.
I could watch them for hours!
I snapped this pic of me and Teagan's future Vegas trip hotel!
Since it was "prime time", they went off every 15 minutes, so we watched three different shows.
SO great!!
We then headed to the theater and to our seats.
The Architect knew how badly I've been wanting to see this, so he splurged and got us Golden Circle tickets.
7th row. Dead center.
Perfection!
The theater is gorgeous!!
This is the ceiling!
One quick pic before the curtain went up and no pics were allowed.
The show was unbelievable.
SO good that when it was over The Architect and I left the ttheater silent.
We looked at each other and both said, "That was so good, I'm speechless. I don't even know where to begin to talk about it!"
Then we headed back to the hotel and creashed.
The next day we slept in!
Until 11!
Just enough time to get ready and head to the airport.
One last quick pic of our view of the Wynn golf course:
At the airport we ate yummy Baja Fresh that no longer exists in Dallas - boo!
We then played another $20 on the slots there at the airport which was so much fun and killed just enough time to board!
As the plane was almost finished boarding, we noticed first class was pretty empty. The Architect looked at me and said, "This is when I always see celebrities when I travel - to and from Vegas and LA."
About 2 minutes later a guy gets on board wearing an Aria polo, jeans, aviators, a ball cap, and about 3 days of scruff that hasn't been shaved. I thought to myself, "this is the PERFECT example of a celebrity and I have no idea who the hell it is."
Right after I thought that, The Architect taps my shoulder and says, "that's Tony Romo!"
I said, "no its not!" I took another look and said, "no way. That's not him."
Then he said, "yes it is! And look, there's Miles Austin and Jason Witten and Keith Brookings."
Sure enough, a handfull of the Dallas Cowboys starts (most of the biggest stars on the team!) were right there by us!
Tony and Miles were right across the aisle from me, Keith was in front of The Architect and Jason in front of Keith.
The Achitect told me to snap a quick pic. At first I said no, but then figured why not!
Halfway through the flight we switched seats. The Architect got out one of his company brochures that has a picture of Cowboys Stadium in it and throughout the rest of the flight and before we got in the car to head home, he had Tony, Miles and Jason's signatures on it.
I was too chicken to ask. hehe
So I reclined back with my book and one last glass of vino.
What a way to end such an unbelievable trip!
***When I posted this I totally forgot to write about how we met Steve Wynn when walking through the Encore! The Architect noticed him and pointed him out (again, I said, "no its not!" lol I SUCK at noticing celebs!), we waited for him to be done with his conversation with two employees, then The Architect said hello and complimented his hotel. He was so sweet and gracious and we quickly moved on because we didn't want to be a bother as we saw they were working.
What was funny is that earlier in the morning as we were walking through the hotel, we commented on the size and magnitude of an operation the hotel/casinos are. We said, "I wonder what Steve Wynn does all day?? Does he just sit around sipping scotch and smoking cigars or does he know every in and out of this place and keep tabs on the operation from top all the way down to the bottom (like make an effort to know the pit bosses all the way down to the cleaning staff).
When we saw him you know what he was working on?? Figuring out a solution to the crowd that gathers outside the club XS, and how to alleviate the blockage that it creates in the passageway for people to get by. How awesome that he does take the time to work on the details of his resort. Love that.


10 comments about your FABULOUS post...
ReplyDelete1. I can't believe you got Uggs (welcome to the dark side hahaha).
2. You look GORGEOUS in your pics!
3. I love the detail and thought MrArchitect puts into your dates (he gets some major points there).
4. I cannot wait for a Vegas Girls Trip and seriously the chandelier bar and pink sparkly bar have our names all over it.
5. I SOBBED reading Pamela's story.
6. I pretty much convinced you are a celebrity magnet...so umm yea I can't wait to see who we run into this weekend. PS whoever is in that seat...OMG sexy!
7. And I have to give mad respect to MrBrooks even though you know I'm not a country girl I love everything you've written about him...it makes me want to date men from the South again!
8. I miss you I miss you I miss you!
9. WAR DAMN EAGLE!
10. 2 sleeps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh my gosh, I'm still reading, but I LOVE the outfit posts.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm totally crying after reading that conversation Garth had.
Back to reading...
Okay, finally done. Love, love, love that you are taking on the outfit posts! As usual, you may end up re-inspiring me :) . We've been slow on the photo shoots lately, and when I do have a cute outfit I'm usually too rushed to take a photo.
ReplyDeleteTOTALLY love that you wrote every detail of the weekend down. What an amazing, amazing weekend! The Architect is SO darn sweet, you can tell in every instance how proud he is to have you as his wife. What a sweet, sweet man! And what an amazingly perfect weekend. xo
OMG. Amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing.
ReplyDeletesounds like such a great trip!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post! I love vegas too. And what a great documentation of memories with the Architect! It looks like it was such a wonderful trip. :)
ReplyDeleteReally love the outfit posts too!
I love all the pictures you took on your Vegas trip. It looks like a wonderful time. Thanks for taking the time to do such a great post with the pics. Can't wait to see more of your fashion pics. I like the way you tell where you get what you're wearing.
ReplyDelete