Man, the last week we have been through the ringer!
From what I have seen on Facebook going around, and read up online, I'm pretty sure little E had rotavirus last week. I don't think her immune system had completely come back up to full strength, when yesterday morning she stared running a fever and acting puny - and I'm pretty sure she has the flu. By 5pm her fever was 102.5 under her arm, she hadn't drank anything in a while and was refusing water, so I gave her some Motrin. That broke her fever and perked her up the rest of the night. At 1am she woke up and felt warm, but went back to sleep. At 5am, she woke up again and was feeling horrible, so I gave her another dose. We were up until 6am or so, and then slept until 10:30am. She went down for a nap around the time her Motrin was wearing off so I let her sleep so that her fever could do its job. She woke up at 6pm and was acting really puny again, just whimpering and refused to drink anything, so I gave her another dose of Motrin and again, it perked her up. I'm hoping it lasts until at least 8am.
I HATE giving her Motrin (have you read the ingredients in that nasty stuff!?!), and I try to just give it to her when she is acting miserable, and refuses to drink anything. I have noticed that that happens around 102.5 (under her arm). I also try to hold off as long as possible, because fevers are our friends and I want it to do its job.
She wasn't doing any better by Thursday morning, so I made an appointment and took her in to the doctor. I was 99.99% sure it was just a virus and they would tell me to keep doing what I was doing, and that was exactly what happened. But the peace of mind and reassurance was good, especially before heading into the weekend when they're closed.
By late Thursday night/early Friday morning, her fever broke (without any Motrin for almost 24 hours), and she has been fine ever since. It took a couple more days to get her back to 100%, but she soon got here, and her immune system is that much stronger to fight future bugs!
And man, after those two weeks back to back, I feel like I was officially initiated as a mom! Sick kids are the worst, because you just feel so helpless! I am SO thankful for the support and encouragement I am surrounded by, and also all the friends I have that are so thoughtful and regularly checked in on her.
No comments:
Post a Comment