Fermented foods are SO good for your health! And raw, unpasteurized fermented foods are REALLY hard to find, and when you do, they're really expensive. So I have decided to start fermenting my own. My first attempt is with kimchi - korean sauerkraut!
I used the recipe from the Nourishing Traditions cookbook.
I started with the few simple ingredients:
Napa cabbage, carrots, daikon radish, green onions, garlic, ginger, chili flakes and sea salt
I shredded everything and then mashed it with a meat mallet to get all of the juices out of the veggies.
Look at all that yummy juice!
I then put it in ball jars, pressing down on the veggies to get them below the juice line,
closed them up and put them in the pantry to sit.
They will sit there for three days, and then I will move them to the fridge.
I'm SO excited to see how it turns out!
Next time I am going to leave the cabbage leaves in larger pieces and shred everything else. That is how it has been served at Korean restaurants that I have been to.
And next time I am going to do regular sauerkraut too!



No comments:
Post a Comment