Monday, March 30, 2015

Chicken and Dressing

With the chicken stock that I had made, along with the chicken meat from the chickens used to make the stock, I made a huge batch of chicken and dressing.  Mmmmm…….

I made my own dressing from scratch for the first time this past Thanksgiving and it was SO easy that I have no idea why I have never made chicken & dressing before, because it is SO good!

A few days before I made it, I finally seasoned my cast iron skillet.  Which, by the way, why didn't I do this LONG ago!?  It was SO easy to do and it is now my most favorite pan that I own - which is saying a lot, because I looooove my All Clad pans.

In that cast iron skillet, I made two batches of corn bread from scratch.  My in-laws live near the War Eagle Mill in Arkansas, so I always stock up on organic, non-gmo, corn meal, and use it to make the best corn bread.  It is basically, corn meal, salt, baking soda, an egg, buttermilk and grape seed oil.  It is SO easy to make, that I can't imagine ever using a box mix.

I let the corn bread sit and "stale" for a couple days before mixing it in a big bowl with onions and celery sautéed in butter, chicken, chicken stock, and sage.

I put half in a 9x13 pan and the other half back in the cast iron skillet.  I baked the one in the cast iron skillet until golden brown and froze the other one to have on Easter Sunday.




Mmm…this is one of my top favorite dishes EVER.



No comments:

Post a Comment