LC was here this morning. She is the lady we initially planned to work with but the timing with Thanksgiving didn't work out bc she was out of town.
Omg I feel SO much better. Like a ton of bricks has lifted off of me. First, Stella weighed 7lb 10oz (up from 7lb 3oz at two week visit) and breast fed 1.5oz and bottle fed 2oz while she was here. She said we're doing everything right, my supply is not quite enough for her needs right now, but it's fine and should continue to increase, but she didn't think it was THAT low and wasn't concerned at all, which made me feel SO much better.
She did say Stella has frenulum (tongue tie) issues we need to get checked out and that could be issue with her latch. Her latch and suck are very weak and she doesn't draw/utilize her tongue properly, even by bottle. Which is why she isn't getting enough by breast.
She told us how much she needs a day which is a little more than we've been feeding her last couple days, but pretty close. I'm not making enough to cover what she needs right now, but I think I'm close and I've already noticed an increase in my production. :) So as of now I feel good about my supply with the amount I have frozen and huge relief with the two coolers of my sisters frozen milk that was on my door step when I woke up this morning. The LC also gave me some tips on increasing production, which is rest - and specific instructions on rest, which means I get a 4hr and 3hr stretch of sleep at night. Yay! That, along with two one hour rests during the day, which all should increase my supply and also increase my non-existent appetite which also will help increase supply.
All in all it went GREAT and we all feel so much better. We still have work to do, but stress level is so much better and confidence is up. :)
Yay! So proud of you, friend. Cheering you on!
ReplyDeleteYay! Good news!
ReplyDeleteI haven't been keeping up with reading blogs, but just noticed you had your baby girl! Huge congratulations. I just wanted to let you know that I breastfed my first daughter for 15 months and the first few weeks are HARD! Hardest thing I have ever ever done. It does get easier and it's so very worth it, but just wanted to send you some internet hugs and say it's amazing that you have already come so far! My only tips are eat eat eat! My doctor told me when I left the hospital that bf-ing requires 2 times as many calories as being pregnant does! On top of eating, drink!!! I had water bottles filled throughout the house and especially in my nursing spots, drink constantly. I know friends that used some supplements (fenugreek), but I didn't. I did try to eat oatmeal once a day at least which is supposed to be great for your supply. I also had a friend that brought over lactation cookies not sure if they actually helped, but they were delicious, ha. Seriously, breast feeding is hard, but you can do it!
ReplyDelete