Another frustration of this postpartum period are people who are needed to help, and are so freakin' hard to get in touch with and nail down and actually get with in person to help. I feel like every time we've needed someone, it's days later we actually get them. And in hindsight I now see that that's way too much wasted time.
From within an hour after birth we waited around on a chiropractor for over a week. We finally gave up and thanks to Teagan got someone else in when she was 11 days old. (That person has been the only one we've been able to count on.) It was DAYS after that, that we finally heard back from the other chiro and even then she couldn't come for days later. That was super annoying.
Lactation consultants: the lady we wanted to work with was out of town so we used the back up but she could come until 3 days in. Then I regret continuing to use her instead of the other lady, but we had already had one visit. So on day 6 she came back. I should have had the other lady come the first chance she could which would have been day 5. So, on day 10 I followed up with LC again over the phone and after another tearful bout after that conversation, The Architect got the original lady on the phone. She said she couldn't come for two days, but even then she didn't think at that point it would be much help until we saw a chiropractor and had our follow up 2 week visit. So we waited. Our two week visit got pushed back two more days and after the blow of MORE (and drastic) weight loss, I was in a fog that day and called other LC the next day (Friday) in a panic when I realized my supply had drastically diminished. Well, she couldn't come until Monday afternoon (today). So in desperation I started pumping like a mad woman and we started bottle feeding to get us through the weekend.
Now here it is Monday at 5:30pm and I haven't heard back from LC yet. So who knows when we'll see her.
So frustrating.
On top of all if the other frustrations.
At least yesterday I was able to pump the same amount that we bottle fed her, so I didn't have to dip into my reserves. I've only had to use one bag of frozen pumped milk so far. And even that freaks me out bc I have SO little. This morning (early early) I was pumping more than yesterday which made me feel a tiny sigh of relief but I'm not confident my supply is increasing yet. But I just want to be able to pump what we feed her to stay up with her.
And I'm breathing another small sigh of relief because my sister overnighted me two coolers of her frozen milk today, to be here tomorrow at 8am. I'm not sure if I will ever be able to express my appreciation to her for that. She is a milking machine and has a deep freezer FULL (more than her baby will ever use). I'm praying I can keep pumping every drop possible to keep up with Stella's intake, but if not, I'm SO thankful to have that until I can get my supply back up.
Deep breath...
Ugh. Read this after I sent that email. Not sure how I missed it. I love that your sister is sending you her milk supply. Now I am praying your milk comes in to exactly what she needs!!! Love you!!
ReplyDelete