Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Makeup = Jeans

I compare buying makeup to buying jeans.

Jeans are the foundation of an outfit (heck, an entire wardrobe!), and it is SO important to have that go-to pair that you love.  The problem is finding that pair.  Ones that look great, fit perfect, the right cut, the right shade, the perfect amount of stretch, ones that fit great when you put them on but dont stretch out and get baggy after wearing them a couple hours, etc.  I loathe shopping for jeans.  It's next to impossible to find that perfect pair.

For me, makeup is the same way.  And when I say makeup, I mean foundation/powder, which is the base of your "look".  Finding the perfect shade with the perfect amount of coverage is so freakin hard.  I finally found it several years ago, and then soon after, they discontinued it.  SO ANNOYING!!!  So, I changed brands and found another one I loved.  Then that company decided to "reformulate" their line, which totally ruined it.  No longer the same colors or coverage, and after struggling with it for a year, I threw in the towel because I have decided that as much as I want to love it, I hate it.  It just looks terrible on me, and I photograph horrible.

So, back to square on.

I am in the experimental stages with MAC.  I really loved the makeover that Teagan and I got last January in Canada, the only problem was she did my foundation about 10 shades too light.  I understand that I am pale, pasty and white, but I do not want to look like a ghost.  And it's exaggerated in pictures, which I hate.  But, I did love the coverage and over-all look.  Just the wrong shade, so I figured I'd give it another go.  Too bad I don't remember any of the products she used! lol

First try, I emphasize to the guy that I want DARK makeup.  I know I'm pale, I know you're supposed to match your color to your neck, but I DONT CARE.  I know its makeup faux pas, I DONT CARE.  He sold me a color that he assured me was dark enough, and guess what.  Too light.  Again, SO ANNOYING.

So I took it back and got the next shade darker.  It's pretty close to the right shade (close enough to fix with the right powder), but now I've decided I hate the coverage.  It looks so thick and cakey and powdery. 

I have an appointment next Friday to sit for an hour with the guy and play.   And after that hour, I will officially give up on MAC and move to the next brand. 

I'm crossing my fingers I find something, because I HATE shopping for makeup.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I hear you on the eternal quest for makeup! I have pale skin with freckles across my nose/cheeks (which I love). My skin is suuuuper temperamental so I need to try to stick with the same products day in day out because otherwise I might have the joys of a bumpy under-skin break out along with cakey, ill-matched makeup. Lovely.

    I'm not committed to a single brand. I love YSL touche eclat for undereye and blemish concealer, Clinique probiotic foundation/powder (I swear they haven't let me down and discontinued the products I love - I used to love Diorskin but those buttheads discontinued my fave foundation/powder) Nars blush in orgasm, and a swipe of lipgloss most days or MAC lipstick and shadows for special/going out looks. Mascara I go cheap since I chuck it every few months - I use L'oreal double extend (it has a primer on one end and mascara on the other). It's AMAZING!

    Anyway, I hope you'll let us know what products you end up going with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just try and keep it simple - concealer to hide those huuuuuge dark circles under my eyes (regardless of how much sleep I get, they never seem to go away!) and a bit of mascara.

    ReplyDelete