22 weeks
The day started off at Chipotle.
I needed something yummy before tacking something I've been DREADING...
Registering.
I figured we needed to get a head start and start early, because I knew it was going to be overwhelming.
There are 50 million different products out there.
And 50 million different products of EACH product.
The Architect and I want to be pretty minimalistic.
We are not doing a nursery, because the room that will be baby girl's room is too far away from ours.
Especially during night time feedings.
So, we are just going to wait until its time for her to go in her own room (we don't know when that will be), and we will do her room when that time comes.
We also don't want tons of crap.
Just the basics.
So we went to Buy Buy Baby as they have the best in-store collection of things.
Babies R Us doesn't have near the selection as most things are "available for online purchase only".
So annoying.
So off to BBB.
As soon as we got done filling everything out, I needed to use the restroom, which was right next to the strollers, so that was where we started.
And that was practically where we ended.
O.M.G.
The only thing I knew about strollers was from my sister: Get the BOB.
She gave me a half a dozen reasons why we should go ahead and spend the money and get it and why it is worth spending that much on that stroller.
That and it MUST be a great stroller when almost every single sorority sister and friend has registered for that stroller!
So, when the lady comes over to help, I explained that we are newly registering and know very little about anything, but that I want to check out the BOB.
She asks if I jog. Um, no.
So then she asks, why the BOB?
So I explained the reasons: like easy to steer with one hand, durability, ease of use on all terrain use, etc.
So she shows us the BOB and goes through all the features, pros and cons.
Then she starts bringing out other strollers.
It was very intimidating because I hadn't heard of any of them.
(Up until that moment I had heard of Graco and BOB.)
And each one that she brings out gets better and better!
And more and more expensive!
When she finally got to the last one, The Architect looked at me and said, "now THIS is the stroller we want! I can already tell that is the best and its by far my favorite."
The Bugaboo Chameleon.
Which is more than double the cost of the BOB!
How the heck are strollers SO complicated and OMG SO expensive!?!?
So we zapped each stroller that we looked at so that we could remember which ones they were and do more research on our own.
We then walked by car seats and decided to not even look at them because we were going to have NO idea where to even start. So it was on to pack and plays.
There, we decided to just give up and go home.
I knew we knew little, but we really knew NOTHING.
So now we are researching and I am asking anyone I know for advice and opinions.
Holy cow, this is so overwhelming.

First off, congratulations!! I haven't commented in a while, but have been keeping up on your exciting news. So, so fun.
ReplyDeleteI felt the same way when going to register, so I took a friend who had recently had a baby. Best decision ever! She knew what we really needed and what we could live without. She talked me through the hundreds of bottles, pacis, car seats, etc. I'd highly suggest taking someone else along next time because it's like a different world in those stores!! Good luck and enjoy!
PS-You look adorable!!
ReplyDeleteI am sure it is overwhelming! Remember that more expensive doesn't always mean better. My friend bought a cheap(er) carseat to keep at her parents' house for when she comes to visit and found that she (and her son) actually likes it way more than the expensive one they have at home. I agree with the comment above too - great idea to take a mom with you!
ReplyDeleteWhen I did all of this, there was a book that compared everything and gave you info about what you would need and what was a waste of money. You might look for that. Also, you might try consumer reports. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHaven't commented in so long! You look great! Registering is crazy intimidating. I live right outside of NYC in a pretty urban area, I pretty much walk to do 95% of my errands. We were deciding between the Chamelon and the Uppababy Vista. The bugaboo is beautiful, but if you drive a ton, it might not be the best stroller for you. You have to actually take it apart to fold it and it's relatively heavy. I'd definitely go back and look at the Vista. Also, I have friends that love love the city select and the city mini by baby jogger. The bumbleride indie double also gets great reviews from friends.I have a BOB that I use to run with and it's a great stroller, but again it's kinda bulky for everyday, if you are looking for an everyday stroller and don't run I'd probably go with something besides the BOB too. I also loved the book baby bargains really really broke stuff down!
ReplyDeleteSent you a comment turned email!
ReplyDeletePS You are SO ADORABLE pregnant.
ReplyDeleteWe have been through a decent amount of stroller. Just throwing another one into the mix. We are super happy with the Britax B-ready (folds almost totally flat, everything can be taken off of it/switched around). It is awesome for the twins (i realize you are having one) but I have seen lots of people use it with just one child (it adapts one or two). If I had it to do over again I would do the city select by baby jogger. I like the sitting situation for two better.
ReplyDeleteSo many choices with all the baby crap.You really don't NEED that much it just accumulates...
You look awesome!!
Mrs. Architect, it has been too long. First off, you are SO adorable as a pregnant lady! I can tell you are just so happy and in love still which is awesome. Secondly, yay a baby girl! :) Don't get stressed by the registering and getting items. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions (although it's been awhile now for me!) and just do some research and go with what feels right for YOU. The one thing about babies, everyone has an opinion! You guys will figure out what works for you and go with it. Lastly, would love to have you stop by the blog when you get a chance - I'm going to try my hardest not to be so MIA and we should all get together again VERY soon for dinner or something! Hope you are doing well! :)
ReplyDelete