Monday, February 6, 2012

Choices Cleanse

I'm starting a "better choices" cleanse this week.  And I'm not sure how long I'll be on it as of now... 

My better choices:
I'm going to start drinking green tea instead of my beloved coffee in the morning. 
I'm going to drink more water.
I'm going to eat more vegetarian meals. (something I love but get out of the habit when I don't think about it.)
I'm going to cut out (to the best of my ability) processed foods, processed sugars, simple carbs, and my beloved "rich" foods, like yummy cream sauces.
I'm going to cut back on my vino consumption, and when I do have the occasional glass, I'm going to limit it to one glass.

I just feel like I need a "break" from my usual eating, which isn't that bad, but I I know it could be better.

Our calendar is hopefully slowing down, but there are still upcoming events/trips in the near future, and with spring on the way, I want my immune system in tip-top shape so I can stay healthy and enjoy them all during the dreaded allergy season!

I've been thinking about doing this for a couple weeks and it really hit me Saturday during lunch, that this is easy, it's just a choice.  I was starving when we stopped at the neatest local bagel/sandwich shop in Broad Ripple (a fun, trendy part of Indianapolis).  And my oh my, all I wanted was a big Reuben smothered in swiss cheese and russian dressing, or a hot tuna melt with ooey gooey cheese, but I knew we were going to have dinner plans in a few hours, so I convinced myself to get one of the veggie bagels, or else I wouldn't be hungry for dinner.  It was hummus, avacado, sprouts, lettuce and tomato on pumpernickel, and it.was.divine!!!  I savored every bite, and when I was done, I was comfortably full and felt good.  I was so happy with myself for just making the better choice.  And afterwards, I felt encouraged and motivated to continue with that mentality once back in Dallas.

3 comments:

  1. it is awesome when these good choices become routine and you enjoy but don't feel guilty about (or obsessed with) occasional splurges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That is exactly what I am going for!! You put it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. Making a lot of good little choices really seems to be the key. No need to completely overhaul your life. I like it.

    ReplyDelete